Setting up Prebid.js with Smart Ad Server
This article describes the basic steps to set up Prebid.js with Smart Ad Server.
Comprehensive documentation is available in the article Holistic+ Setup in Smart’s Help Center. This documentation may be more up to date than the explanations below.
For some of the setup steps described below, you need to have a login to Smart’s UI.
How it works
- You implement the Prebid.js header bidding wrapper as well as Smart’s ad tags on your website.
- The header auction winner’s data (bidder name, CPM, currency) is passed with the ad call executed by Smart’s ad tag.
- In Smart’s UI, you simply set up an RTB+ insertion in order to establish the competition between the header auction winner and Smart’s connected monetization partners (DSPs); there is no need to set up multiple line items, price buckets, keyword targeting etc.
- At the same time, Smart’s holistic yield algorithm will make sure your direct (guaranteed) campaigns meet their targets.
- Finally, the impression is given to the highest bid: (1) Smart’s own RTB+ (2) a direct campaign or (3) the header auction winner.
Step 1 - Implement the wrapper
Proceed as follows:
- Go to the Prebid.js download page.
- Select the relevant Bidder Adapter(s), an Analytics Adapter (optional) and Module(s) (optional).
- Download the code.
- Consult the Bidders’ Params to get help for filling the parameters.
- Make sure you specify the timeout; the timeout is the maximum time to wait until the Smart ad call is executed - even if some partners have not responded yet.
- Implement the Prebid.js file on the site.
This step is also documented here.
Step 2 - Implement Smart’s tag
Smart’s OneCall tagging is strongly recommended. With OneCall, you can set header bidding data per
tagId is the Id of the container (
<div>), where the ad will be displayed. The
tagId format is
Make sure you use Smart’s new OneCall tagging, which uses POST requests with all the necessary information in the request body; simply check if you see the
formats array in your tag. If you see
formatId, you are still dealing with an old tag - in this case, get back to your service contact at Smart.
For samples of both the new and legacy OneCall as well as a full implementation example, read here.
Step 3 - Setup in Smart’s UI
Things to keep in mind for the Setup in Smart’s UI:
- In the RTB+ insertion, you must enable the checkbox “Activate Holistic yield mode” in the “General settings” section of the insertion.
- RTB+ must be enabled and configured in the network global settings.
- The Holistic+ feature must be enabled on the network.
- You must use the official and Holistic RTB+ script templates in the insertions.
For more details, read here.
Step 4 - Get reporting
Read these articles to learn more about the available header bidding reporting: